The first building in Calpe with international sustainability certification
Calpe is a modern city with growing international appeal. However, there is a lack of affordable temporary housing for workers, resulting in many leaving for other cities. The existing buildings in Calpe do not meet sustainability goals or current energy demands. Sustainable construction is needed to address these challenges.
Calpe needs a co-living space to provide affordable accommodation for temporary workers. It would also attract individuals seeking a shared living experience, where they can enjoy communal spaces and activities while maintaining their privacy.
- Efficient management with one person handling maintenance, cleaning, and reception.
- Low maintenance due to simple facilities and new technology.
- Shared areas are cleaned by the coliving occupants, while individual rooms are maintained by guests.
- Energy consumption aims to meet sustainable building standards, reducing costs and environmental impact.
- Monthly room prices range from €600 to over €800, ensuring economic viability without compromising sustainability.
- Focus on sustainable construction and operation to optimize resource utilization and minimize environmental impact.
- Aim to create a nearly zero-energy building through renewable technologies and overall efficiency improvements.
- Passive measures include LED lighting, thermal insulation, elimination of thermal bridges, optimized building orientation, high-performance windows, graywater reuse, and heat recovery in ventilation.
- Active measures include solar panels, photovoltaic systems, mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, and aerothermal fan coil for climate control.
- Emphasis on promoting the well-being of occupants.
- Orientation of the building maximizes natural light exposure.
- Ventilation system with heat recovery ensures fresh and clean air.
- Use of eco-friendly soaps and detergents.
- Water cleanliness ensured through ozone treatment, reverse osmosis, and water softening systems.
- Outdoor spaces for relaxation, sports, and activities such as swimming pool and calisthenics area.
- Adherence to international standards for healthy living, such as the WELL certification.
These features contribute to sustainable and efficient construction, maximizing space utilization, and promoting a comfortable and eco-friendly living environment.
- 6m Containers: Repurposed shipping containers commonly used in construction for various purposes, offering cost savings and design flexibility.
- Slope-based Housing Location: Optimal placement of the house on sloped terrain, minimizing earthwork and maximizing usable construction area.
- Dual-Sided Entrances: Convenient access with a main entrance on one side and a secondary entrance on the other, utilizing both street-facing sides of the property.
- No Garages: No dedicated private parking spaces, allowing for more green space and eliminating associated costs.
- Terrace: Spacious rooftop terrace designed for daily use and relaxation.
- Two Levels: Efficient use of land with containers arranged in double height, creating an additional versatile space.
- External Insulation: Thermal insulation applied on the exterior walls of the containers, enhancing energy efficiency and interior space utilization.
- Interior Cladding: Insulated walls with plasterboard finishing, providing visual appeal, accommodating installations, and improving acoustic comfort.
- Exterior Finishing: Utilizing a Japanese charred wood technique for an attractive, durable, and eco-friendly facade.
- Windows: High-performance windows with thermal insulation and solar control, enhancing comfort, natural lighting, and energy efficiency.
- Reinforced Concrete Retaining Walls: Construction of sturdy walls to address terrain variations and ensure structural stability.
- Accessible Terrace: Open and connected terrace design with safe and low-maintenance flooring, offering a comfortable outdoor space.
- Facilities: Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, high-efficiency heat pumps for heating and cooling, reverse osmosis water system, photovoltaic panels for electricity generation, biodigester for kitchen biogas, and smart lighting control for energy efficiency and remote access.